If you want a very robust solution to deploy your RShiny applications a managed Kubernetes service on AWS, or EKS, is a great choice! Kubernetes has, for now, fully dominated the DevOps and deployment space in terms of deploying containerized services.
Should I Use Kubernetes to Deploy my RShiny App?
As with all things, there are pros and cons to using Kubernetes.
- Kubernetes is a beast to get started with.
- You need to have your RShiny App packaged with docker.
- Kubernetes is incredibly well supported across a range of providers, including AWS, GCP, Azure, Digital Ocean, etc.
- Kubernetes is complicated, but with complicated comes armies of engineers who want to abstract away the complicated into configuration files. So you if you stick with the growing pains it's likely you will get a lot of benefit and things will get less painful over time.
- Kubernetes has been embraced by the "people who deploy stuff" community, which means that there are a lot of resources out for it.